Since I had the month of February off, Marc and I decided that a trip just for fun (not for interviewing!) was badly needed. With all of the miles I racked up going on 17 interviews I had crossed the threshold for a free ticket to Hawaii, and Marc, with his many, many miles from his travel in his old job, also had enough (just on Delta, he was mainly a United and American flyer). Because of our MULTIPLE unfortunate experiences on Delta (aka Doesn't Ever Leave the Airport, courtesy of someone else's facebook status), we decided to dump all of our miles and go to Hawaii to get rid of them. Last minute we found 2 "low mileage" (50,000 miles each) tickets and also were able to use points along with a discount for the points to get a hotel in Kauai. We had a crazy route to get there, but we made it and wow was it beautiful! I had been too Kauai, although just for the day, back in 1996 during a trip to Honolulu and Maui, but it was a different experience this time and I have to say, we actually ran out of time to do all the things we wanted to do on the small island, which really surprised me.
We spent one night in Honolulu solely because we came in late and couldn't get a flight to Lihue in Kauai. We spent much of the first day just driving around, going to Pearl Harbor and finding the bail bonds office for Dog The Bounty Hunter--surprisingly one of my favorite shows!
American flag flying high over the USS Arizona Memorial
The list of people who were killed on the USS Arizona on December 7th.
Part of the ship
The USS Arizona leaks oil daily and it can still be seen on the water's surface since the day it sunk. It makes me wonder how long oil will be in the Gulf of Mexico...
A high view of the Memorial
People exiting the memorial.
...and on a much lighter note, the offices of Dog The Bounty Hunter! They weren't there since it was Sunday, but maybe on our next trip we can find them!
Stay tuned for more about our trip...
No comments:
Post a Comment