Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bed Rest

I am trying to catch up a bit on blogging, and although there aren't many readers, I think it will be a good way for me to try to remember things!

From my last post, it is pretty evident that my pregnancy always fell into the "high risk" category, therefore I knew bed rest was always a possibility, but it came somewhat unexpectantly.  I went to my normally scheduled OB appointment (32 weeks, but was just at 33 weeks)--was a little bit late as far as weeks go because I had been on an inpatient peds month and just couldn't go to the doctor.  I was so excited to get a peak at our little guy on ultrasound since I had growth ultrasounds at every single appointment due to my high risk for growth restriction in our little guy.  It was always so reassuring to see our little man and to see how big he was getting. He was always measuring 2 weeks ahead of my due date with weight in the 80th percentile and HC > 97th percentile, so we figured the risk for growth restriction was long past us.  Ultrasound looked fantastic which was always a relief.  Then it came time to be seen by the doctor. . . I go in and have my blood pressure checked and it was 162/98--certainly on the high side.  My doctor came in, of course concerned about me, and started talking about the possibility of preeclampsia and what I might need to have done as far as testing goes. We didn't want to make any decisions until BP was rechecked...came back and BP was 158/102.  A call was made to triage to get a bed ready for me and I was briskly rushed to triage which was just down the hall with Dr. Rose carrying my purse and coat.  He helped get me settled and introduced me to the nurses and then went to talk to the staff on call.

I wasn't every SUPER worried about things, probably because I had just seen Max on ultrasound and knew he looked great and I hadn't had any symptoms at all of preeclampsia.  Marc couldn't come to my appointment with me so I tried to remain calm for him knowing that he couldn't get down to the hospital for a bit.  I underwent further work-up and everything continued to look okay, lab work and everything.  My blood pressure came down slightly to the 140s and in came the staff physician with my new plan.  It was bed rest immediately and I had to start betamethasone (injectable steroids to help with the baby's lung development in the case of a pre-term delivery).  After I was "cleared" I had to go complete the MRIs I was scheduled to have that day.  It was not pleasant to lie flat and still at 33 weeks pregnant, but I was grateful that the staff still did all of my imaging despite my being late due to my adventures in triage!

  I had to go back to Mayo the next day for a 2nd injection and again my BP was high in the 150s, so it was back on monitors again and again things looked okay.  I had to go back for a follow-up appointment just 2 days later to see how the BP was and to see if bed rest was still needed.  BP was still on higher end of normal, but was a bit better and labs still checked out okay, so I had medication changes and remained on bed rest.

I was on bed rest from 33 weeks until Max arrived at 38 weeks 4/7 days.  I had to drive to Rochester twice a week for ultrasounds and non-stress testing (monitoring baby's heart rate) along with doctor's appointments.  It was not pleasant. . . I had a lot that I needed to get done and finally had the time to do it, but was unable to do it.  Days were long for sure.  I am just grateful to my co-residents and program staff for taking so much of the stress away for being gone from work.  I can't even begin to tell you wonderful everyone has been!  I am also so appreciative of Marc for all the chores, grocery trips, and just generally putting up with me and for my mom who came up while Marc was traveling for work.

Thank goodness bed rest is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment