I promised an update on my condition so here it is . . .
As mentioned on a previous post, I was diagnosed with a cavernoma, a collection of abnormal blood vessels, located in my thoracic spinal cord that bled causing me to lose muscle strength of the right leg as well as causing a loss of sensation in the left leg. From a medical standpoint, I have a true Brown-Sequard Syndrome, which is not seen that commonly (yet again, of course that's me!). I have no sense of temperature on the left leg, which is very strange.
Between my appointments in mid September and my appointment in early October, I made significant progress. I stopped having to use my walker all together and then transitioned to a cane, and now am only using that cane when we are out and about. I can walk up stairs, almost like a normal person. They had me do it at therapy this week and the therapist stated that "other than being overly cautious you look great." I am too afraid that a lack of focus on my end will result in a fall and then a new set of issues to address. At my last appointment on Friday, I had repeat MRIs of my cervical spine and thoracic spine as well as an MRI of my brain--all with and without IV contrast. I have always been an MRI expert starting from my nearly 6+ hour MRI as a 2nd grader, several MRIs while in my third trimester of pregnancy, to having now been in an MRI machine 4 different times since August 30th, with fifth coming up on Monday. The MRI showed 2 cavernomas, one at T1 measuring 1 mm and another at T11/T12 measuring 8 mm. I have some residual bruising of the cord for lack of a better term, but the edema of the cord has resolved. Fortunately, no cavernomas in the brain. Apparently those with spinal cavernomas have a high risk of having them in the brain, but not vice versa.
Next steps are for me to meet with another neurologist, meet with the vascular malformations team with yet another MRI and go from there. I have all sorts of questions ranging from limitations to medications, to preventive steps, etc and am hopeful that I can get some more answers in the next few appointments.
I am continuing with physical therapy. I feel blessed every time I walk into the facility. At my last visit I did in fact walk in without a cane. I am doing it at the neuroscience center and am surrounded by those who have had more significant injuries or medical complications than I have had.
I am not back to normal just yet, but am counting every small gain. I have been able to carry Madeline down the stairs (while gripping the rail) and around the house
No comments:
Post a Comment